|Copyright: Debdutta Bandyopadhyay (debdutta)
|Date Taken: 2017-10-01|
|Photo Version: Original Version|
|Date Submitted: 2018-06-21 5:00|
|[Note Guidelines] Photographer's Note|
|Prinsep Ghats (Bengali: প্রিন্সেপ ঘাট) is a ghat built in 1841 during the British Raj, along the Kolkata bank of the Hooghly River in India. The Palladian porch in the memory of the eminent Anglo-Indian scholar and antiquary James Prinsep was designed by W. Fitzgerald and constructed in 1843.|
The shot portrays the St George's Gate of the Fort William,and the massive second Hoogly Bridge forms the backdrop. The monument to Prinsep is rich in Greek and Gothic inlays. It was restored by the state's public works department in November 2001 and has since been well-maintained. In its initial years, all royal British entourages used the Prinsep Ghat jetty for embarkation and disembarkation.
pajaran has marked this note useful
Only registered TrekEarth members may rate photo notes.